Join Our Team!
Do you enjoy helping people and serving your community?
If you enjoy helping people in a challenging, fast-paced environment, the Services Division of the Urbana Police Department has an excellent opportunity to serve as a Police Services Representative (PSR). The successful candidate will have outstanding communication skills, the ability to multi-task, and an eye for detail, as well as strong skills with typing, spelling, and the use of proper grammar. This position involves extensive public contact in stressful situations, requiring excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
PSRs are responsible for maintaining the department’s record system and information management system and serving as the primary contact point for public access to the department. PSRs cover the front desk in shifts from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week, 365 days a year. Applicants must have the ability to work all shifts including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as well as overtime as needed.
The ideal candidate:
• Demonstrates excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Is organized, self-motivated, and able to work independently and as part of a team
• Has excellent critical thinking, conflict resolution, and time management skills
• Is able to handle sensitive and confidential information with professionalism and tact
• High school diploma/GED or equivalent;
• Two years of related work experience or an associate’s degree/60 hrs. of college credit and one year of related experience. Related experience is work in a setting with frequent interaction with customers or the public;
• Knowledge of business English, punctuation, spelling, business math, office practices and procedures, and operation of standard office equipment;
• Able to type accurately and perform data entry on a computer keyboard, use computer programs and word processing systems
• Able to work productively and calmly under stress and in possible emergency situations;
• Able to establish and maintain cooperative and effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties;
• Available to work weekends, holidays, rotating shifts and mandatory overtime, and must successfully pass a skills assessment examination as well as an extensive background investigation.
Why Work @ Urbana?
Job satisfaction. A generous benefits package. A diverse, inclusive and supportive environment. These are just a few of the many reasons to consider the City of Urbana as the next step in your career. The City of Urbana prides itself on being a progressive, dynamic community and is internationally distinguished as the home of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the state’s flagship public university and one of the pre-eminent research institutions in the world.
This position will remain open until filled, but the first review of applications will occur after Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019. Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply prior to this date for priority consideration.